Digital Detox - Day 3

,

  • 6:45: Woken up by co-Digital Detoxer (co-DD), went back to slept since I didn't have to get up for another hour and a half
  • 8:20: Got up
  • 9:00: Left for Windsor
  • 9:30-12: Attended University of Windsor convocation (Co-DD was graduating)
  • 12:30-2: Cora’s for brunch
  • 2:30-4:10: Mall (this time frame is a bit off, and I mostly hung around outside the mall since I didn't want all the advertisement exposure and had no money)
  • 6-9: Work

When you're busy, you don't' have time to sit and dwell. This is a widely used approach to distressing situations, which can vary widely. To compare what I'm doing to distressing situations in people's lives is ridiculous, so I'll stop the comparison there. Today, I decided that I would continue with this digital famine until I could have one pure day - One day where I can live truly digital-less. I'm hoping, desperately, that that day will be tomorrow since I have no plans and work won't be able to force the usage of things on me. Starting to crack a little bit, really craving Facebook, Reddit, and e-mail. I feel a little bit of pressure from ignoring my e-mail in case something important comes up, but I then realize that they'll probably get in contact with me by some other means if it's that important. Typical craving, though: grows until it comes to a head, then it terminates.

The general upside of this is that I'm forced to have a more normal sleep schedule because I'm too tired to read at night and I wake up with the sun. Getting a lot of reading done, though.

Cheated:

  • Mall Adverts
  • Texted Co-DD (he allowed the use of his cell phone for work purposes) during his convocation to tell him he should shake Peter Mansbridge's hand (who was an honorary grad for this convocation)
  • cell phone as camera
  • One phone call that I promptly ended

2 Responses on "Digital Detox - Day 3"

  1. Tera says:

    I'm really enjoying these posts :) Makes me feel like maybe one day I could do this. Do you feel like you overestimated the amount of anxiety you would feel from being (somewhat) out of contact with people?

    Theodorus says:

    Thanks!
    I'm sure most people do it, especially if they're in a circumstance similar to mine (work doesn't require much tech use, only taking one course online).

    Actually, I think I underestimated the amount of anxiety I would feel. It kind of reached a peak around day 3 and day 4, then dwindled off as I resigned to the fact that it would stay like that until the end of the week. I was surprised at how difficult it turned out to be.

Post a Comment