Cell Phones

For almost my entire life, I've lived without a cell phone. Only some brief stints within high school (parents requirement to use their car) and 1 year during university (no land line in the house 2nd year) did I have one. It's come to be part of my identity to not have one and I kind of pride myself on having the ability to both survive without one, as well as keep that $30+/month in my pocket.

So now, It looks like I may be getting one because my parents are buying a bundle deal and there will be one waiting for me when it comes in. There goes a piece of my identity, only to be replaced by this synthetic, mainstream, hollow piece. Great.

For those who don't know me and want to know why I don't enjoy cell phones, here are some of my reasons:

1) I find it annoying to hear people constantly on their cell phones, nattering away, because they feel that they have just so much to say that they can't be disconnected for a half hour, or for a facade of importance that they associate with constantly talking.

2) I dislike it when you're talking to someone and they keep texting, pretending that they're fully paying attention to you. It's rude, thanks. No matter how good you are at texting, you can't pay full attention to two things at once. Sure, you can repeat what I just said to you, but that's thanks to your phonological loop; no attention required to replay whatever was heard within the last 30ish seconds.

3) The rates are ridiculous. If you look at cell phone contract trends from when they first started getting popular, the cell phone contracts have been getting consistently worse and worse every year. Yes, you might say, but then why don't you get on board before they get even worse? Answer: because I never cared to.

4) I feel that the time you spend on the phone while traveling around could be better spent reflecting on recent events in your life, figuring out problems, or simply enjoying the environment through which you're traveling. Maybe you'll gain a little insight.

5) I hate that people feel they can text and walk/drive/bike. Similar reason as 2), only much more dangerous when it comes to the driving part. You're not focusing on both, you're focusing on one at a time and jumping back and forth.

6) I've come to enjoy being an outsider on the cellphone community.

Yes, yes, I know that people are not asking me to become these things, but these are things that I've come to associate with a cell phone. As well, they all seem like things that would edge their way into your behavior: first you do it a little bit, maybe once in a while, then a little more often, and more, until you're full blown cell-freak. Please, no.

I realize that I'm negating the positive sides of cell phones, but I feel most of those can be covered up by proper co-ordination and use of the internet. Yeah, there are times when they would come in handy and would've saved me time, but people survived before cellphones, I can survive as well.

I suppose there is the option to turn down the phone, but there goes the bundle deal they were going to get (assuming they want to get this deal) and if I don't use it, they may get annoyed for getting the deal for no reason. I suppose I could give this "cell phone" thing a shot.

5 Responses on "Cell Phones"

  1. Jenny says:

    actually it worked the opposite for me :/
    when I got my first cellphone I was texting calling ppl because it was something new to me
    after awhile it's nothing but a device
    I barely remember to bring it with me at times
    it all depends on the people using it
    not the actual cellphone itself

    Zal says:

    I agree with you on this Phil. It is such a pain in the ass walking around and people are constantly texting and not watching where they are going.

    People with blackberries are even worse! (Yes I realize I have one, but I don't BBM people constantly and not watch where I'm going) I wouldn't care so much if they actually took the time to look up and see where they were going instead of staying glued to the screen.

    Anonymous says:

    Thank you for writing about this!
    I am ashamed to say that I have lost that same piece of my identity...I am now (what I would consider) a texter, and my advice to you (because I know we've had similar views on this in the past): don't do it! Not to sound hypocritical, but I would not suggest getting one.

    My opinion on cell phones?
    They are just another tie to a social network which is sometimes nice to escape.
    They get you into more trouble than if you didn't have one; when people know you have a cell phone, you develop what is known as a 'texting relationship' with them, which has to be the most impersonal way to get to know someone!
    People with your number expect you to respond to calls, texts, etc., and expect your cell phone is on you at all times, which is why it is so easy for it to become an appendage on your body.
    And lastly, you begin to short form your words more than msn (but less than Twitter) because there is limited space in one text, and that is annoying to anyone who cares about language!

    I'm sure if you explained this to your parents, they'd understand ;)

    Anonymous says:

    If it means that much to you, you could just not give anyone your number and then you don't have to worry about having to use it. The only time you would use it is to talk to your parents (because obviously they would have your number if they're getting it for you) and for emergencies. If they feel that you aren't using it to warrant you having it, I'm sure they will change their plan to one that is more efficient.

    I agree with you on most of your points though. Cell phones are a great tool, but they've been utilized in the wrong ways by the masses. (Did I use "utilized" correctly there?)

    Theodorus says:

    I'm unsure. If we focus on the games and planners for cell phones, then.. yes? Mostly no because people are using them for their intended purpose: communication.

Post a Comment